Wednesday, February 18, 2015

About Me

Update:  It's February 20, 2015 and I'm still on my journey.  It's been six years since I first posted "About Me" on my blog and those years have flown by.  Six years since and I'm convinced that I'm still on the right trail - living relationally with other brothers and sisters without the baggage of institutional and organizational structures.  The freedom to love people and to live in Father's love is truly amazing.  I'm so glad I've taken this journey.  

Who am I? If you don't know me personally, that's probably a question you're thinking as you peruse this site. What I say about myself won't really matter a lot because I am only what you accept me to be. Religious titles are superfluous. I am only what you receive me to be. No more, no less. However, if it will help you to know me better, I can tell you that I have been a follower of Christ for over 39 years and served God's people for over 36. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in Bible and theology from two of the leading Christian colleges and universities in the United States. I've served in every capacity within the organized church system - e.g., church planter, assistant pastor, senior pastor, and everything in between. I'm in my forty-third year of marriage, have two children, and four grandchildren. But all of that really doesn't matter. What matters is that you know Christ and are able to hear Him - everything else is filler. If you don’t know Him or hear Him then nothing else really matters. I pray that you will come to know Him better and hear His voice more clearly through some part of your interaction with The Journey Dialogue.

There is more you need to know. In March 2008, after a six-year period of transition, I left the system of organized religion that I once served to begin a new spiritual journey outside that system, but I did not forsake my relationship with Christ. In fact, I am more vitally connected to my Father, His Son, and the Holy Spirit, more deeply committed to my relationship with Them, and more secure in my relationship with Them than at any time in my life. At the same time, I'm also experiencing a greater freedom and desire to love and serve His growing family of followers. Why did I leave? It's a long story; one that I won't share here, but basically I left because I grew increasingly disillusioned by organized religion and finally lost all hope in it.

I still love Jesus and love serving Him. I just do it now in a different way, in differing contexts, and I'm finding more satisfaction and better results. My life is now focused upon learning better how to live for Father's pleasure and helping His family learn to do the same. My heart's desire is to help God's people grow into the people He desires for them to be.

Unlike a lot of people I know, I'm not looking for a better way to do the thing we call "church". I'm seeking a better way to help people grow into fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. Isn't that the goal? Seeking the "better way" has led me out of the "church" as it is currently practiced in our culture. I'm learning to embrace and practice a different way - what I consider to be a better way.

The Journey Dialogue is a forum for sharing what I'm learning in my new journey and some of the lessons I've learned during the time of transition that led to my exiting the "church" as it is currently understood and practiced. It's also a place where I can list some resources that might aid others who are considering a similar journey. And finally, I hope it will also provide a forum for open, loving and honest dialogue with others about what is important to God's heart and purpose - what is central to Him.

The Scriptural theme for the rest of my journey is found in Colossians. The New Living Translation expresses it best - "So everywhere we go, we tell everyone about Christ. We warn them and teach them with all the wisdom God has given us, for we want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ." (Col. 1:28) That's my goal. To help people become "perfect in their relationship to Christ".

I want to close by asking this question: "Can a person have a vibrant life-changing relationship with God without joining an organized system of religion?" How would you answer that question? Let's talk about it. Welcome to The Journey Dialogue.

1 comment:

  1. I am honored & priviledged to know the ones that are associated with "The Journey Dialogue" thus far. For the last 2 hours I have listened to the 1st & 2nd dialogues connected to this "Journey". I thank God sooo much that HE is answering some questions that I have had for a very long time. For all who read this comment....I know these guys and love them a lot. They honestly don't want "their voices", but sincerely want "God's Heart" to be heard. Thank you sooo much for your Words of Wisdom & Encouragement. Until next dialogue....GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete