Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Journey

I’m not a writer. In fact, I hate writing. Always have and always will. But I feel compelled to add my thoughts to the growing conversation about the shaking and the change the church in North America is experiencing. My wife and I are among the growing number of followers of Christ who have been affected by both the shaking and the change. Where we are today in our spiritual journey is not where I expected us to be just a few years ago. In fact, I can’t even say the journey was my idea at all.

The journey? What is it? It's a simple phrase to describe life as a follower of Christ. Growth in Christ is a journey, a process, not an event. There really is no arrival place. It's literally a journey - from glory to glory.

Our journey began with a desire to build the kind of church God has always longed for – the model in my mind was one very much like the one that currently exists – only different in some minor ways (I won't go into detail about that here). Admittedly, I had no idea what that church looked like or how it would evolve. We had served God and His people in a variety of capacities for over 30 years. After concluding an almost seven year senior pastorate in a rather large charismatic church, my wife and I simply launched out on a journey of discovery, unsure of where it would lead or what it would involve. In our hearts we knew that we could no longer be content with the church, as we knew and experienced it.

That was over 9 years ago and we’ve changed a lot and learned a lot, and I would say we are closer to what we believe God desires "church" to be. It doesn’t look very much like the church we knew, which was built primarily around structure, organization, control, gifting, and an individual’s personality (i.e. a pastor). It’s simpler, less stressful, and a whole lot more fun.

How did we get so far off target? I think we drifted off target when we began to define “church” by the kinds of things we did. Things such as where and when we met, deciding that what we believed about the Bible and God others should believe too, deciding what should be defined as an acceptable “style of worship” and so forth. We got off target when we tried to figure out how to get God’s people deeply indoctrinated and fully imbedded into the organizational life of this thing we defined and labeled as “church.” Although we wouldn’t admit it and would argue profusely with anyone who would suggest it, commitment to God was measured by one’s commitment to the life of the organization – i.e., tithing, attending, serving, joining, etc. Of course all the planning, dedication, sacrifice and expenditure of huge sums of money were intended to help people become better followers of God.

But there is only one problem with all the time, talent and treasure dedicated to make "church" work - it doesn’t work very well. I hate to say it but the majority of churched people aren’t becoming better followers of God. How many people have you bumped into actually look and sound like Jesus? Isn’t that the goal of our efforts? Aren’t we supposed to be helping people become like Jesus? Where are these people? It’s been reported that the divorce rate among Christians is higher than the divorce rate among atheists. Josh McDowell states that 63% of our teenagers leave church when they leave home - never to return to church. Robert Lewis and Rob Wilkins write in their book The Church Of Irresistible Influence that "even though some 500 billion dollars has been spent on church growth materials and seminars during the last 15 years, the percentage of evangelicals in this country is actually smaller now than before." A 2007 Newsweek article stated that "82% of Americans claim to be Christian", yet we still allow abortion on demand and openly practicing homosexuals and lesbians are allowed to serve in leadership positions within various Christian denominations. And just recently the presiding bishop of a leading evangelical denomination said the belief that "we can be saved as individuals" is a "heresy". As Apollo 13 captain Jim Lovell said, “Houston, we have a problem!”

We have a problem! We’ve been duped! Jesus stated something so simply that we've missed it. In John 13:34-35 He said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." Read the four gospels. Is there any explicit teaching from Jesus that would in any way describe the focus and method of doing church that is currently practiced in North America? I can’t find anything Jesus said remotely hinting to what we see being practiced in today’s church. Jesus spoke about a way of relating, not a way of meeting. Jesus summarized the entire Old Testament law in what we know as the two Great Commandments. These were to be the two essential identifying characteristics of God's people. You know them I’m sure, but I’ll include them just in case. Matthew 22:36-40, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." The Old Testament law as summarized by Jesus was primarily centered upon “relationship”. Relationship to God and relationship to one another – everything is summed up in those two relationships. Jesus built His style of church upon these two relationships. Therefore, the Christian life is not measured by one’s faithfulness to an organization, but fidelity to the relationships indicated by Jesus. They are not the same!

The questions I had to ask myself over and over on this journey were these: Can I have an intimate relationship with God without being a part of an organization? Do I have to “join” a church organization as it is currently known and practiced, and learn to worship Jesus the way they worship Jesus, in order to have a bonafide relationship with God? We’ve been duped into thinking we do. What is the first thing we do with a new convert? We take her or him to the building (i.e., church) where we meet so he or she can learn to do church the way we do it. Immediately we get them signed up for “membership classes” so they can “join the church” and “validate” their relationship with God. In our quest to build our organizations we’ve failed to fully comprehend that you can’t "join the church" – you have to be born into it (Jn. 3:3-8). That’s what Jesus said! Yes, you can join an organization but don’t confuse that organization with the church God is building. Every born again believer is an automatic member of His Church (Eph. 5:29-30) – even without attending six weeks of membership classes.

As I've progressed in my journey I've discovered that my whole concept of “church” had to be rethought and biblically grounded. That was hard. Bible College and Seminary had trained me very well in how to "build" and lead a church. It was no different than any other human organization. You plan, organize, govern, lead, and manage it like a secular corporation. However, I was always troubled by the primary importance given to the organization as opposed to the individual needs of the people who belonged to it, or the people it was supposed to reach. It deeply troubled me that the needs of people became secondary to the needs and survival of the organization – all in the name of building the church. It’s a myth to believe we can build the church anyway. Jesus said, “I will build my church.” I wonder how much of what man has built is really Jesus’ church?

As I journey along I'm seeing more clearly that in order to understand church correctly you have to see and understand Jesus Christ correctly. They are related. Jesus came from heaven not only to redeem man from his sin but also to show man how sons and daughters of God are to live as His children. He is the only model for our life. He is the pattern Son for all sons and daughters to follow. How He lived His life is how we are to live our life. How He related to His Father is how we are to relate to our Father. How He related to those around Him is the way we are to relate to those around us. The example He set is the example we are to follow. That’s as clear as I know how to say it. What Jesus did is what we are to do. No more, no less!

So if you want to learn what is critical to your faith journey, you need to study the life of Jesus Christ. Start by reading John’s Gospel. It is full of instruction. As you read, please notice what the text does not say. You will not find any reference to this thing we have made church being a viable part of Jesus’ life on earth. Jesus’ focus was on a particular kind of relationship – a relationship to the Father and a relationship to those around Him characterized by love. That was Jesus’ style of church. Not attendance at meetings, attending seminars, building huge buildings, growing memberships, going on TV or radio, and so forth. The contemporary church has taken the focus off of living like Jesus - though I’m sure it wouldn’t admit it. The real pressure is applied to maintain a faithful connection to the organization called church while the leadership, for the most part, overlooks how the people are actually living their lives. How else can we explain the pitiful state of the church in the USA?

I’ve discovered that in order to build the church God longs for the focus has to be on relationships. That’s the pattern established by Jesus. Not just any kind of relationships but Christ-centered relationships anchored in God’s love. In John 17, just before His arrest, we are given a snapshot of the uppermost thing on the heart of Jesus. There He prayed for the relational unity of His body – the Church. How are we doing? Our best estimates suggest there are between 20-30,000 denominations currently in existence worldwide. Apparently none of the leaders of those denominations have read 1 Corinthians 1:13 – “Is Christ divided?” Division results when we make anything or anyone but Christ the true center of our lives. I’m convinced the Church God is building is being built upon Christ-centered relationships that are nurtured and sustained by His love, and that church looks and functions much differently than the one presently dominating our spiritual landscape.

I’m happy to say I’m a part of that growing church which is being built upon expanding Christ-centered relationships. I know I don't have all the answers but I’m learning better each day how to live loved by my Heavenly Father and how to share that love with my "neighbors", free of the religious requirements and expectations imposed by organizational and institutional Christianity. I’ve discovered I don’t have to be part of a religious organization in order to have an intimate and growing relationship with my Father and that freedom has allowed me to get to know and enjoy God better than I have ever imagined. As Wayne Jacobson says, “I’m learning to live loved and to live love”. I’m also learning how to live as a follower of Christ with other followers free of the institutional religious system and its obligations. As I do, I’m seeing people grow in their relationship with God and one another in some amazing ways. Each passing week I’m seeing more of Jesus and less religion. It’s exciting, fun, and at the same time, challenging! I’m glad I’m on this journey!

Postscript:
After reading this you might ask, “Are you saying that it’s not important for followers of Christ to get together with other followers of Christ?” No, I’m not saying we don’t need to gather together with other followers of Christ. We do. But that’s a different topic. If you want to discuss it with me let me know. Welcome to The Journey Dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment